27 January 2012

General Roundup

Assorted things that I can't turn into their own separate things:

-Steve Garro at Coconino Cycles has a couple entries up detailing his processes for building a frame. I love stuff like this. Part 1. Part 2. Generally a good blog to follow.

Getting going on framebuilding is one of my resolutions for this year, and I've been trying to gather everything I need to get practicing at brazing. This has led me to spending ages mindlessly looking through tool supply websites and whatnot, which has led to me agonizing over the realization that I'll likely never be able to afford a place with a garage or basement for a workshop in Vancouver's insane market. Urgh.

-Does anyone else think that these Magura road brakes remind them of the Campagnolo Delta brakes?

-A while back, Rivendell posted an entry that, among other things ("indian" talk notwithstanding), speaks at great length about the departure of an employee.

This is illustrative of a lot of what I like so much about RBW as a company, reinforcing even more what I felt when I stopped in when I was in San Francisco in September: They come across as a group of folks that are there because they're really excited about what they're doing, and genuinely like working there and working together. When I visited, I had a really long, wide-ranging conversation with - I believe - Scott, a teacher that works there on weekends if I remember correctly. We talked about all kinds of things, some of which were even bike related.  He offered - without any request on my part - to quickly show me around the place, to send me out on test rides on whatever bikes I wanted even though it was clear that I was just dropping by to look around, gave me a handful of the readily-available Readers that he could track down, and was just genuinely friendly all around. It seemed like a perfect example of what happens when you treat the people that work for you like people that work with you. 


Anyhow, it turns out that Jay, the departing RBW employee, is the guy responsible for one of my favourite bike web edits:



This video always makes me want to drop everything I'm doing and go ride my bike off into the hills.

-Other assorted things going on lately:

  • A couple weeks back, I fell really hard on my knee and it swelled up the size of a softball. I decided to avoid the bike until things went back to normal (also it snowed and stuff, and Vancouver drivers are absurdly dangerous when it snows), so I'm just now getting riding again. So much for that resolution so far. 
  • I have this older Nishiki Rally frame that my wonderful girlfriend found in an alley and dragged home because she knew I'd want it. It's more-or-less my size-ish. I have a 2-speed kickback hub that I built into a 700c wheel a while back. I'm thinking 2-speed errand bike with a big ol' front rack. Probably re-raking the fork to make it work better with said big ol' front rack. Possibly re-paint it because why not, right? This will be done on the cheap, so it will probably be a hilarious bike. I look forward to it. 
  • Cobbled together a couple tools last week to help with wheelbuilding stuff. As luck would have it, I've got a couple wheels to build on Tuesday when I'm back at work. 
  • The VO rides so well. I'm very pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment